December 4, 2009

Lies of Affluence

Are you rich?
Most of us in today's American society, especially college students would answer that question with a resounding "No!". The reality? As a college student in America you are among the richest 20 percent of people in the entire WORLD! Not only that, but you are among the richest and most educated in the entire HISTORY of the world!
Did you drink clean water today without risking disease or death?
Are you wearing a pair of shoes?
Do you have a bed to sleep in?
If you answered yes, then you are rich. Literally, you are rich.
It is interesting because many people in America today, myself included often think that we are barely getting by. However, thinking that I am simply living a modest life while trying to pay my bills is not true! I am living the good life. I can take a shower each day, I have a car to drive to work and school, and I even can catch a movie or two every once in a while. Why is it that I still feel like the poor college student?

In the book Hope Lives, Amber Van Schooneveld said it best, "The saddest thing about me driving discontently down the road in my Chevy, not realizing that I'm rich, is that I honestly sometimes believe I really don't have the extra money to help others."
The thing about my wealth and wealth in all of America today is that I am not just satisfied by the wealth I have but it makes me hungrier. It makes me yearn for more and more and more. Eventually it makes us paralyzed- trapped in a pile of material possessions, unable to reach out and offer help to anyone in need.

In the book mentioned earlier, the author looks at her and her husband's monthly finances for one month. It is listed below...
Income After Taxes: $2204.32
Rent: $800
Boring Bills: $308.23
Tithe: $250
Groceries: $215.87
Savings: $107.60
Two designer sweaters: $84.26
Two purses: $80.67
Charitable donation: $75
Dinner out: $68.50
Movies: $10.56
Cheese: $20.41
Ice cream: $22.67
Fast Food: $36.16
Other: $124.39

The conclusion that she came to? In one month alone she spent nearly as much on ice cream, cheese, and books on poverty as the average person in Ethiopia makes in one year ($90). Who's rich now? She also found out that she spends more on one meal out than a person in Haiti will make in two months. And she spents almost three times as much on cute sweaters and purses and a video game as she did on charity to help others. She also invested 3 percent of her money in helping others while spending 15 percent on luxuries as herself.

Through doing this research and reading that book, it has become clear to me that I underestimate my wealth. It is also clear to me that there are so many others around me that underestimate their own wealth as well.

What we need to come to grips with is if 21st century America isn't wealthy..... then who is?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Recommended Reading

  • A Long Way Gone by Ishmael Beah
  • As We Forgive by Catherine Claire Larson
  • Hope Lives by Amber Van Schooneveld
  • Irresistible Revolution by Shane Claiborne
  • Left to Tell by Immaculee Ilibagiza
  • Sold by Patricia McCormick
  • The Hole In Our Gospel by Richard Stearns
  • The Skeptic's Guide to the Global AIDS Crisis by Dale Hansen Bourke
  • Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortensen
  • Too Small To Ignore by Wess Stafford